Very Merry Punch
From EatingWell: November/December 2009
There was a time when every household had its own recipe for spiced hot-wine punch. Folks would roam from house to house testing each one. With the blend of flavors in this punch, revelers might never move on to other houses on the block.
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 750-ml bottles hearty red wine, preferably Cabernet Sauvignon
- 1 apple, sliced
- 1 orange, halved and sliced
- 1 cup pineapple chunks, fresh or canned
- 4 whole star anise
- 1/2 cup orange curaçao
- Place water and brown sugar in a Dutch oven. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring often, until the sugar has dissolved, about 2 minutes.
- Add wine, apple, orange, pineapple and star anise. Reduce the heat to medium and cook for 10 minutes.
- Stir in orange curaçao and cook for 5 minutes more. Discard star anise. Serve the punch in heat-safe wineglasses or coffee cups, spooning a little fruit into each glass.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Let cool, cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day. Reheat on the stovetop over low heat or in the microwave on Medium.
199 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 27 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 1 g fiber; 11 mg sodium; 234 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 other carbohydrates, 1 alcohol equivalent
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Health & Diet Considerations
- Gluten free
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Beverages, alcoholic
- November/December 2009