Very Merry Punch
From EatingWell: November/December 2009
There was a time when every household had its own recipe for spiced hot-wine punch. Folks would roam from house to house testing each one. With the blend of flavors in this punch, revelers might never move on to other houses on the block.
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 750-ml bottles hearty red wine, preferably Cabernet Sauvignon
- 1 apple, sliced
- 1 orange, halved and sliced
- 1 cup pineapple chunks, fresh or canned
- 4 whole star anise
- 1/2 cup orange curaçao
- Place water and brown sugar in a Dutch oven. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring often, until the sugar has dissolved, about 2 minutes.
- Add wine, apple, orange, pineapple and star anise. Reduce the heat to medium and cook for 10 minutes.
- Stir in orange curaçao and cook for 5 minutes more. Discard star anise. Serve the punch in heat-safe wineglasses or coffee cups, spooning a little fruit into each glass.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Let cool, cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day. Reheat on the stovetop over low heat or in the microwave on Medium.
199 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 27 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 1 g fiber; 11 mg sodium; 234 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 other carbohydrates, 1 alcohol equivalent
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Beverages, alcoholic
- Health & Diet Considerations
- Gluten free
- November/December 2009