Vertically Grilled Whole Chicken with Sweet & Spicy BBQ Rub
From EatingWell: July/August 2014
This sweet and spicy barbecue rub recipe for chicken performs the double duty of giving chicken a burst of flavor while also creating a pleasant crust. The rub recipe makes enough to prepare 2 pounds of boneless chicken or 4 pounds of bone-in chicken, but you can easily double or triple the recipe and store the extra in an airtight container for up to 3 months so you can have it on hand throughout the grilling season.
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 4 teaspoons packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 4- to 4 1/2-pound chicken
- To prepare rub: Combine chili powder, brown sugar, cumin, salt, paprika, garlic powder, ginger and cayenne in a small bowl.
- To season chicken: Remove giblets from chicken and trim any excess skin and fat. Loosen the skin over the breast and thigh meat. Sprinkle and pat the dry rub under and over the skin of the chicken. Let stand for at least 10 minutes and up to 30 minutes before grilling.
- To grill chicken: Preheat a gas grill to medium or build a two-zone fire (coals on one side of the grill) in a charcoal grill and let it burn down to medium heat (about 400°F).
- Hold the chicken upright and fit the opening of the cavity over a vertical grilling rack.
- If using a gas grill, turn off part of the grill (leaving 1 to 2 burners lit, depending on your grill). Place the chicken on the grill rack over the unlit part. Close the lid and grill until the chicken is very tender and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh without touching bone registers 165°F, 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours. (If using a charcoal grill, add 10 coals after the first 30 minutes to maintain the heat.) Transfer the chicken to a clean cutting board and let rest for 10 minutes before carving.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store the rub, airtight, for up to 1 month.
Per serving: 232 calories; 8 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 98 mg cholesterol; 5 g carbohydrates; 3 g added sugars; 3 g total sugars; 33 g protein; 1 g fiber; 722 mg sodium; 336 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (21% daily value), Zinc (16% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 0
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- July/August 2014