Vertically Grilled Whole Chicken with Sweet & Spicy BBQ Rub
From EatingWell: July/August 2014
This sweet and spicy barbecue rub recipe for chicken performs the double duty of giving chicken a burst of flavor while also creating a pleasant crust. The rub recipe makes enough to prepare 2 pounds of boneless chicken or 4 pounds of bone-in chicken, but you can easily double or triple the recipe and store the extra in an airtight container for up to 3 months so you can have it on hand throughout the grilling season.
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 4 teaspoons packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 4- to 4 1/2-pound chicken
- To prepare rub: Combine chili powder, brown sugar, cumin, salt, paprika, garlic powder, ginger and cayenne in a small bowl.
- To season chicken: Remove giblets from chicken and trim any excess skin and fat. Loosen the skin over the breast and thigh meat. Sprinkle and pat the dry rub under and over the skin of the chicken. Let stand for at least 10 minutes and up to 30 minutes before grilling.
- To grill chicken: Preheat a gas grill to medium or build a two-zone fire (coals on one side of the grill) in a charcoal grill and let it burn down to medium heat (about 400°F).
- Hold the chicken upright and fit the opening of the cavity over a vertical grilling rack.
- If using a gas grill, turn off part of the grill (leaving 1 to 2 burners lit, depending on your grill). Place the chicken on the grill rack over the unlit part. Close the lid and grill until the chicken is very tender and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh without touching bone registers 165°F, 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours. (If using a charcoal grill, add 10 coals after the first 30 minutes to maintain the heat.) Transfer the chicken to a clean cutting board and let rest for 10 minutes before carving.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store the rub, airtight, for up to 1 month.
Per serving: 232 calories; 8 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 98 mg cholesterol; 5 g carbohydrates; 3 g added sugars; 3 g total sugars; 33 g protein; 1 g fiber; 722 mg sodium; 336 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (21% daily value), Zinc (16% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 0
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- July/August 2014