Vermicelli with Tomatoes, Olives & Capers (Vermicelli alla puttanesca)
From EatingWell: January/February 1994
Chopped fresh tomatoes are the base of this raw pasta sauce, flavored with briny olives, rich anchovies and fresh parsley.
- 1 pound whole-wheat vermicelli, or spaghettini
- 4 large, vine-ripened tomatoes, cored and coarsely chopped, or one 28-ounce can plum tomatoes, drained and roughly chopped (3 1/2 cups)
- 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 16 large black olives, (packed in brine), pitted and chopped
- 3 tablespoons drained capers, minced
- 4 anchovy fillets, rinsed and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Pecorino Romano, or Parmesan cheese
- Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes or according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, combine tomatoes, parsley, olives, capers, anchovies, oil, garlic and pepper in serving bowl.
- When the pasta is cooked, drain it and add to the bowl with the sauce. Toss well to combine. Taste and adjust seasonings. Sprinkle with cheese and serve immediately.
Per serving: 373 calories; 9 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 6 mg cholesterol; 63 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 14 g protein; 11 g fiber; 346 mg sodium; 472 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (25% daily value), Vitamin C (32% dv), Folate (17% dv), Iron, (19% dv), Magnesium (31% dv), Selenium (79% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 lean meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Turnips are a root vegetable with purple-white skin and a...
A piping-hot bowl of soup makes a delicious dinner and an...
Instead of ordering takeout tonight, try an easy chicken stir...
Whether you’re eating chickpeas in a salad, pasta dish or...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
Vegetables are one of the healthiest foods you can eat,...
Our healthy low-carb desserts are delicious ways to end your...
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- January/February 1994