Vermicelli with Tomatoes, Olives & Capers (Vermicelli alla puttanesca)
From EatingWell: January/February 1994
Chopped fresh tomatoes are the base of this raw pasta sauce, flavored with briny olives, rich anchovies and fresh parsley.
- 1 pound whole-wheat vermicelli, or spaghettini
- 4 large, vine-ripened tomatoes, cored and coarsely chopped, or one 28-ounce can plum tomatoes, drained and roughly chopped (3 1/2 cups)
- 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 16 large black olives, (packed in brine), pitted and chopped
- 3 tablespoons drained capers, minced
- 4 anchovy fillets, rinsed and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Pecorino Romano, or Parmesan cheese
- Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes or according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, combine tomatoes, parsley, olives, capers, anchovies, oil, garlic and pepper in serving bowl.
- When the pasta is cooked, drain it and add to the bowl with the sauce. Toss well to combine. Taste and adjust seasonings. Sprinkle with cheese and serve immediately.
Per serving: 373 calories; 9 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 6 mg cholesterol; 63 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 14 g protein; 11 g fiber; 346 mg sodium; 472 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (25% daily value), Vitamin C (32% dv), Folate (17% dv), Iron, (19% dv), Magnesium (31% dv), Selenium (79% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 lean meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
Wraps are a delicious and healthy alternative to standard...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Asparagus, rhubarb, peas, artichokes, beets, carrots and more...
Take advantage of all of the spring’s fresh produce with our...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Healthy scones are as easy to make as a quick bread and these...
Turkish, Lebanese and other Middle Eastern flavors star in...The easiest way to make your chicken sing—punch it up with fresh...
Our healthy lemon recipes are bursting with the bright,...
Preventing heart disease through diet is made easier with our...
Instead of going out for date night, stay in and cook a...
One-pot meals are great, but they often serve a crowd. These...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- January/February 1994