Vermicelli with Tomatoes, Olives & Capers (Vermicelli alla puttanesca)
From EatingWell: January/February 1994
Chopped fresh tomatoes are the base of this raw pasta sauce, flavored with briny olives, rich anchovies and fresh parsley.
- 1 pound whole-wheat vermicelli, or spaghettini
- 4 large, vine-ripened tomatoes, cored and coarsely chopped, or one 28-ounce can plum tomatoes, drained and roughly chopped (3 1/2 cups)
- 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 16 large black olives, (packed in brine), pitted and chopped
- 3 tablespoons drained capers, minced
- 4 anchovy fillets, rinsed and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Pecorino Romano, or Parmesan cheese
- Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes or according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, combine tomatoes, parsley, olives, capers, anchovies, oil, garlic and pepper in serving bowl.
- When the pasta is cooked, drain it and add to the bowl with the sauce. Toss well to combine. Taste and adjust seasonings. Sprinkle with cheese and serve immediately.
Per serving: 373 calories; 9 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 6 mg cholesterol; 63 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 14 g protein; 11 g fiber; 346 mg sodium; 472 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (25% daily value), Vitamin C (32% dv), Folate (17% dv), Iron, (19% dv), Magnesium (31% dv), Selenium (79% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 lean meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
Don’t be fooled: granola sounds healthy, but it's often high...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Summer's bounty of fresh berries invites creativity. From...
Fiber-rich okra is delicious, whether pickled, roasted or...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
If you’re following the Paleo Diet then you know that you...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- January/February 1994