Vermicelli with Tomatoes, Olives & Capers (Vermicelli alla puttanesca)
From EatingWell: January/February 1994
Chopped fresh tomatoes are the base of this raw pasta sauce, flavored with briny olives, rich anchovies and fresh parsley.
- 1 pound whole-wheat vermicelli, or spaghettini
- 4 large, vine-ripened tomatoes, cored and coarsely chopped, or one 28-ounce can plum tomatoes, drained and roughly chopped (3 1/2 cups)
- 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 16 large black olives, (packed in brine), pitted and chopped
- 3 tablespoons drained capers, minced
- 4 anchovy fillets, rinsed and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Pecorino Romano, or Parmesan cheese
- Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes or according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, combine tomatoes, parsley, olives, capers, anchovies, oil, garlic and pepper in serving bowl.
- When the pasta is cooked, drain it and add to the bowl with the sauce. Toss well to combine. Taste and adjust seasonings. Sprinkle with cheese and serve immediately.
Per serving: 373 calories; 9 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 6 mg cholesterol; 63 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 14 g protein; 11 g fiber; 346 mg sodium; 472 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (25% daily value), Vitamin C (32% dv), Folate (17% dv), Iron, (19% dv), Magnesium (31% dv), Selenium (79% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 lean meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- January/February 1994