Capers, olives and anchovy add rich flavor to this traditional Italian pasta dish. Make it a meal: Serve with chopped romaine salad.
- 4 large vine-ripened tomatoes, cored and coarsely chopped, or one 28-ounce can plum tomatoes, drained and coarsely chopped (3 1/2 cups)
- 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 16 large black olives, (packed in brine), pitted and chopped
- 3 tablespoons capers, finely chopped
- 4 anchovy fillets, rinsed and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 pound whole-wheat vermicelli, or spaghettini
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Pecorino Romano, or Parmesan cheese
- Combine tomatoes, parsley, olives, capers, anchovies, oil, garlic and pepper in a large pasta serving bowl.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes or according to package directions.
- Drain the pasta and add it to the bowl with the sauce. Toss well to combine. Taste and adjust seasonings. Sprinkle with cheese and serve immediately.
Per serving: 373 calories; 9 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 6 mg cholesterol; 63 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 14 g protein; 11 g fiber; 346 mg sodium; 486 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (82% daily value), Magnesium & Vitamin C (32% dv), Vitamin A (25% dv), Iron (19% dv), Folate (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
Exchanges: 3 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less