Venison Stew with Glazed Shallots
From EatingWell: January/February 1997
Glazed shallots and carrots provide a sweet counterpoint to earthy, rich venison in this full-flavored stew.
- 1/2 cup dried wild mushrooms, such as porcini
- 2 cups boiling water
- 2 strips bacon, very finely chopped (1 ounce)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds venison leg, or shoulder, trimmed, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 large onion, very finely chopped (1 1/2 cups)
- 6 cloves garlic, minced (2 tablespoons)
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 large sprig fresh rosemary, or 1 teaspoon dried
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups sliced carrots, (3-5 carrots)
- 16 large shallots
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, divided
- To make stew: Place dried mushrooms in a small bowl. Cover with boiling water and soak until mushrooms are soft, 20 to 30 minutes. Drain, reserving soaking liquid. Roughly chop mushrooms; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Cook bacon in a small skillet over low heat, stirring, until crisp. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels; set aside.
- Combine flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper in a shallow bowl. Dredge venison pieces in flour mixture, shaking off excess. Heat 1/2 teaspoon oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add half of the venison pieces and sear until browned on all sides, about 6 minutes. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels. Repeat with 1/2 teaspoon oil and remaining venison; set aside.
- Heat remaining 1 teaspoon oil in the pot over low heat. Add onion and garlic; cook, stirring often, until onion is golden, 15 to 20 minutes. Add wine and increase heat to medium. Cook until liquid has evaporated, about 5 minutes. Add broth, tomato paste, rosemary, bay leaves, reserved mushrooms and liquid, bacon and venison. Bring to a simmer. Cover, transfer to the oven and bake for 1 1/2 hours.
- Add carrots and bake until venison and carrots are tender and sauce is thickened, about 30 minutes more. Remove rosemary sprig and bay leaves. Season with salt and pepper.
- To make glazed shallots: Meanwhile, trim and peel shallots, breaking them into cloves. Place in a saucepan with water to cover. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, reduce heat and simmer until tender, 4 to 5 minutes. Drain.
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Add the shallots, sugar and 1/4 teaspoon salt; cook, stirring occasionally, until the shallots are glazed and browned all over, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Stir the glazed shallots and 2 tablespoons parsley into the stew. Garnish with the remaining 1 tablespoon parsley.
Per serving: 329 calories; 7 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 100 mg cholesterol; 29 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 35 g protein; 4 g fiber; 481 mg sodium; 810 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (157% daily value), Iron (44% dv), Vitamin C & Potassium (23% dv), Zinc & Selenium (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 3 vegetable, 4 lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient
- January/February 1997