Vegetarian Tikka Masala
From EatingWell: November/December 2013
In this vegetarian tikka masala recipe, we combine crisp tofu pieces and vegetables in a spiced tomato sauce to make a healthy and flavorful dish. If you like spicy food, increase the amount of crushed red pepper. Serve with steamed brown rice for a healthier take on a classic takeout dish.
- 3 tablespoons garam masala
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper (optional)
- 2 14-ounce packages extra-firm or firm tofu
- 1 tablespoon canola oil plus 2 teaspoons, divided
- 1 large onion, halved and sliced
- 1 large red bell pepper, quartered and sliced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1/3 cup half-and-half
- Combine garam masala, turmeric, salt and crushed red pepper (if using) in a small bowl. Cut tofu into 1-inch cubes and blot dry with paper towels. Toss the tofu in a medium bowl with 1 tablespoon of the spice mixture.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the tofu and cook, stirring every 2 minutes, until browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Add the remaining 2 teaspoons oil, onion, bell pepper, ginger and garlic and cook, stirring often, until starting to brown, 5 to 7 minutes. Add flour and the remaining spice mix; stir until fragrant and coated, about 1 minute. Add tomatoes, bring to a simmer and cook, stirring often, until the vegetables are tender, 3 to 5 minutes more.
- Return the tofu to the pan; cook, stirring, until heated through, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in half-and-half.
Per serving: 232 calories; 14 g fat (3 g sat, 5 g mono); 6 mg cholesterol; 17 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 16 g protein; 4 g fiber; 605 mg sodium; 690 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (100% daily value), Calcium (40% dv), Iron (26% dv), Vitamin A (25% dv), Magnesium (22% dv), Potassium (20% dv), Folate (17% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 2 medium fat meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, soy
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- November/December 2013