Vegetarian Tikka Masala
From EatingWell: November/December 2013
In this vegetarian tikka masala recipe, we combine crisp tofu pieces and vegetables in a spiced tomato sauce to make a healthy and flavorful dish. If you like spicy food, increase the amount of crushed red pepper. Serve with steamed brown rice for a healthier take on a classic takeout dish.
- 3 tablespoons garam masala
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper (optional)
- 2 14-ounce packages extra-firm or firm tofu
- 1 tablespoon canola oil plus 2 teaspoons, divided
- 1 large onion, halved and sliced
- 1 large red bell pepper, quartered and sliced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1/3 cup half-and-half
- Combine garam masala, turmeric, salt and crushed red pepper (if using) in a small bowl. Cut tofu into 1-inch cubes and blot dry with paper towels. Toss the tofu in a medium bowl with 1 tablespoon of the spice mixture.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the tofu and cook, stirring every 2 minutes, until browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Add the remaining 2 teaspoons oil, onion, bell pepper, ginger and garlic and cook, stirring often, until starting to brown, 5 to 7 minutes. Add flour and the remaining spice mix; stir until fragrant and coated, about 1 minute. Add tomatoes, bring to a simmer and cook, stirring often, until the vegetables are tender, 3 to 5 minutes more.
- Return the tofu to the pan; cook, stirring, until heated through, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in half-and-half.
Per serving: 232 calories; 14 g fat (3 g sat, 5 g mono); 6 mg cholesterol; 17 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 16 g protein; 4 g fiber; 605 mg sodium; 690 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (100% daily value), Calcium (40% dv), Iron (26% dv), Vitamin A (25% dv), Magnesium (22% dv), Potassium (20% dv), Folate (17% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 2 medium fat meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, soy
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 2013