Vegetarian Tikka Masala
From EatingWell: November/December 2013
In this vegetarian tikka masala recipe, we combine crisp tofu pieces and vegetables in a spiced tomato sauce to make a healthy and flavorful dish. If you like spicy food, increase the amount of crushed red pepper. Serve with steamed brown rice for a healthier take on a classic takeout dish.
- 3 tablespoons garam masala
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper (optional)
- 2 14-ounce packages extra-firm or firm tofu
- 1 tablespoon canola oil plus 2 teaspoons, divided
- 1 large onion, halved and sliced
- 1 large red bell pepper, quartered and sliced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1/3 cup half-and-half
- Combine garam masala, turmeric, salt and crushed red pepper (if using) in a small bowl. Cut tofu into 1-inch cubes and blot dry with paper towels. Toss the tofu in a medium bowl with 1 tablespoon of the spice mixture.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the tofu and cook, stirring every 2 minutes, until browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Add the remaining 2 teaspoons oil, onion, bell pepper, ginger and garlic and cook, stirring often, until starting to brown, 5 to 7 minutes. Add flour and the remaining spice mix; stir until fragrant and coated, about 1 minute. Add tomatoes, bring to a simmer and cook, stirring often, until the vegetables are tender, 3 to 5 minutes more.
- Return the tofu to the pan; cook, stirring, until heated through, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in half-and-half.
Per serving: 232 calories; 14 g fat (3 g sat, 5 g mono); 6 mg cholesterol; 17 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 16 g protein; 4 g fiber; 605 mg sodium; 690 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (100% daily value), Calcium (40% dv), Iron (26% dv), Vitamin A (25% dv), Magnesium (22% dv), Potassium (20% dv), Folate (17% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 2 medium fat meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, soy
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- November/December 2013