Vegetarian Hot Pot
Quick to prepare, this Asian-style noodle soup has all the makings of a one-pot meal. To punch up the heat, add a dab of chile-garlic sauce.
- 5 1/4 cups vegetable broth, or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 4 1/4-inch-thick slices fresh ginger, peeled
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed and peeled
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 3/4 cups shiitake mushrooms, stemmed, wiped clean and sliced (4 ounces)
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper, or to taste
- 1 small bok choy, cut into 1/2-inch pieces, stems and greens separated
- 3 1/2 ounces Chinese wheat noodles, or rice sticks (see Ingredient note)
- 1 14-ounce package firm tofu, drained, patted dry and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 cup grated carrots, (2 large)
- 4-6 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions, for garnish
- Combine broth, ginger and garlic in a Dutch oven; bring to a simmer. Simmer, partially covered, over medium-low heat for 15 minutes. Discard the ginger and garlic.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and crushed red pepper; cook, stirring often, until tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Add bok choy stems; cook, stirring often, until tender, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the mushroom mixture to the broth. Add noodles, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 3 minutes. Add bok choy greens and tofu; simmer until heated through, about 2 minutes. Stir in carrots, vinegar to taste, soy sauce and sesame oil. Serve garnished with scallions.
Tips & Notes
- Ingredient Note: Chinese wheat noodles and rice sticks (dried rice noodles) are quick-cooking and can be found in the Asian-food section of your supermarket.
Per serving: 230 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 26 g carbohydrates; 11 g protein; 5 g fiber; 707 mg sodium; 344 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: 130% dv vitamin a, 29 mg vitamin c (50% dv), 179 mg calcium (20% dv), 20% dv fiber.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 2 1/2 vegetable, 1 lean protein, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, soy
- Preparation/ Technique