Vegetarian Hot Pot
Quick to prepare, this Asian-style noodle soup has all the makings of a one-pot meal. To punch up the heat, add a dab of chile-garlic sauce.
- 5 1/4 cups vegetable broth, or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 4 1/4-inch-thick slices fresh ginger, peeled
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed and peeled
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 3/4 cups shiitake mushrooms, stemmed, wiped clean and sliced (4 ounces)
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper, or to taste
- 1 small bok choy, cut into 1/2-inch pieces, stems and greens separated
- 3 1/2 ounces Chinese wheat noodles, or rice sticks (see Ingredient note)
- 1 14-ounce package firm tofu, drained, patted dry and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 cup grated carrots, (2 large)
- 4-6 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions, for garnish
- Combine broth, ginger and garlic in a Dutch oven; bring to a simmer. Simmer, partially covered, over medium-low heat for 15 minutes. Discard the ginger and garlic.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and crushed red pepper; cook, stirring often, until tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Add bok choy stems; cook, stirring often, until tender, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the mushroom mixture to the broth. Add noodles, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 3 minutes. Add bok choy greens and tofu; simmer until heated through, about 2 minutes. Stir in carrots, vinegar to taste, soy sauce and sesame oil. Serve garnished with scallions.
Tips & Notes
- Ingredient Note: Chinese wheat noodles and rice sticks (dried rice noodles) are quick-cooking and can be found in the Asian-food section of your supermarket.
Per serving: 230 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 26 g carbohydrates; 11 g protein; 5 g fiber; 707 mg sodium; 344 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: 130% dv vitamin a, 29 mg vitamin c (50% dv), 179 mg calcium (20% dv), 20% dv fiber.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 2 1/2 vegetable, 1 lean protein, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, soy
- Preparation/ Technique