Vegetarian Hot Pot
Quick to prepare, this Asian-style noodle soup has all the makings of a one-pot meal. To punch up the heat, add a dab of chile-garlic sauce.
- 5 1/4 cups vegetable broth, or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 4 1/4-inch-thick slices fresh ginger, peeled
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed and peeled
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 3/4 cups shiitake mushrooms, stemmed, wiped clean and sliced (4 ounces)
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper, or to taste
- 1 small bok choy, cut into 1/2-inch pieces, stems and greens separated
- 3 1/2 ounces Chinese wheat noodles, or rice sticks (see Ingredient note)
- 1 14-ounce package firm tofu, drained, patted dry and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 cup grated carrots, (2 large)
- 4-6 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions, for garnish
- Combine broth, ginger and garlic in a Dutch oven; bring to a simmer. Simmer, partially covered, over medium-low heat for 15 minutes. Discard the ginger and garlic.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and crushed red pepper; cook, stirring often, until tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Add bok choy stems; cook, stirring often, until tender, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the mushroom mixture to the broth. Add noodles, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 3 minutes. Add bok choy greens and tofu; simmer until heated through, about 2 minutes. Stir in carrots, vinegar to taste, soy sauce and sesame oil. Serve garnished with scallions.
Tips & Notes
- Ingredient Note: Chinese wheat noodles and rice sticks (dried rice noodles) are quick-cooking and can be found in the Asian-food section of your supermarket.
Per serving: 230 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 26 g carbohydrates; 11 g protein; 5 g fiber; 707 mg sodium; 344 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: 130% dv vitamin a, 29 mg vitamin c (50% dv), 179 mg calcium (20% dv), 20% dv fiber.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 2 1/2 vegetable, 1 lean protein, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, soy
- Preparation/ Technique