From EatingWell: September/October 2013
Packed with vegetables, beans and spices, this zesty, healthy vegetarian chili recipe is loaded with protein from textured vegetable protein, also known as TVP. We like the combination of okra, corn, tomatoes and beans, but feel free to use your favorites, such as peas, carrots or mushrooms. Using whole-grain bulgur adds fiber and helps bulk up portion size, making this vegetarian chili hearty and satisfying. After all the ingredients are added to the pot, we like to slowly simmer our chili for close to an hour to develop the best flavor, but if you’re in a hurry, reduce the liquid by half and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes.
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil or canola oil
- 3/4 cup TVP (see Tip)
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 ounces okra, sliced (3 cups)
- 1 cup corn kernels, fresh or frozen
- 1/2 cup bulgur
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 14-ounce can no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 1 15-ounce can no-salt added kidney beans, rinsed
- 1 15-ounce can no-salt added black beans, rinsed
- 4 cups vegetable or “no-chicken” broth
- 2 cups water
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add TVP, onion and garlic. Cook, stirring, until the onion starts to soften, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add okra and corn and cook, stirring occasionally, until the okra is starting to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add bulgur, chili powder, paprika, cumin, garlic powder, ground chipotle pepper, cayenne and salt and cook, stirring, until aromatic, 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Stir in tomatoes, kidney beans and black beans, then pour in broth and water; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer, partially cover the pot and cook, stirring occasionally, until the liquid is reduced and thickened and the TVP and bulgur are tender, about 50 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
- TVP, or textured vegetable protein, is made from defatted soy flour. Its crumbly, chewy texture and mild flavor make it a perfect meat substitute for vegetarians. Look for TVP with whole grains in natural-foods stores or in the natural-foods aisle of well-stocked supermarkets.
343 calories; 9 g fat (1 g sat, 6 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 50 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 19 g protein; 17 g fiber; 590 mg sodium; 1155 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (49% daily value), Magnesium (39% dv), Potassium (33% dv), Iron (31% dv), Vitamin C (30% dv), Calcium (20% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 1/2 vegetable, 2 lean meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, soy
- Preparation/ Technique
- Super Bowl
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- September/October 2013
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)