Vegetable & Sausage Skillet Supper
This satisfying supper is a great way to use up leftover rice and those pesky bits of leftover vegetables that always manage to clog the crisper. Serve with some grated cheese on top and some warm cornbread alongside.
- 8 ounces low-fat kielbasa, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 2 medium zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 2 cups cooked brown rice, (see Tip)
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed
- 1/2 cup water
- Hot sauce, such as Tabasco, to taste
- Cook kielbasa in a large nonstick skillet over high heat, turning from time to time, until lightly browned, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Add oil to the pan. Add onions, zucchini, bell pepper, jalapenos, garlic, cumin, oregano and salt; cook, stirring, until the onions are tender, 4 to 5 minutes. Stir in rice, beans and water; cook, stirring, until heated through, about 4 minutes. Add the reserved kielbasa and season with hot sauce. Serve hot.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To cook brown rice: Place 2/3 cup brown rice, 1 2/3 cups water and a pinch of salt, if desired, in a small saucepan; bring to a simmer. Cover; cook over low heat until rice is tender and most of the liquid has been absorbed, 45 to 50 minutes. Makes about 2 cups.
Per serving: 355 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 20 mg cholesterol; 58 g carbohydrates; 17 g protein; 10 g fiber; 861 mg sodium; 565 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (180% daily value), Vitamin A (30% dv), Iron (20% dv), Potassium (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 starch, 3 vegetable, 1 1/2 lean protein, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique