Vegetable & Sausage Skillet Supper
This satisfying supper is a great way to use up leftover rice and those pesky bits of leftover vegetables that always manage to clog the crisper. Serve with some grated cheese on top and some warm cornbread alongside.
- 8 ounces low-fat kielbasa, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 2 medium zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 2 cups cooked brown rice, (see Tip)
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed
- 1/2 cup water
- Hot sauce, such as Tabasco, to taste
- Cook kielbasa in a large nonstick skillet over high heat, turning from time to time, until lightly browned, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Add oil to the pan. Add onions, zucchini, bell pepper, jalapenos, garlic, cumin, oregano and salt; cook, stirring, until the onions are tender, 4 to 5 minutes. Stir in rice, beans and water; cook, stirring, until heated through, about 4 minutes. Add the reserved kielbasa and season with hot sauce. Serve hot.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To cook brown rice: Place 2/3 cup brown rice, 1 2/3 cups water and a pinch of salt, if desired, in a small saucepan; bring to a simmer. Cover; cook over low heat until rice is tender and most of the liquid has been absorbed, 45 to 50 minutes. Makes about 2 cups.
Per serving: 355 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 20 mg cholesterol; 58 g carbohydrates; 17 g protein; 10 g fiber; 861 mg sodium; 565 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (180% daily value), Vitamin A (30% dv), Iron (20% dv), Potassium (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 starch, 3 vegetable, 1 1/2 lean protein, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique