Vegetable & Sausage Skillet Supper
This satisfying supper is a great way to use up leftover rice and those pesky bits of leftover vegetables that always manage to clog the crisper. Serve with some grated cheese on top and some warm cornbread alongside.
- 8 ounces low-fat kielbasa, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 2 medium zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 2 cups cooked brown rice, (see Tip)
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed
- 1/2 cup water
- Hot sauce, such as Tabasco, to taste
- Cook kielbasa in a large nonstick skillet over high heat, turning from time to time, until lightly browned, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Add oil to the pan. Add onions, zucchini, bell pepper, jalapenos, garlic, cumin, oregano and salt; cook, stirring, until the onions are tender, 4 to 5 minutes. Stir in rice, beans and water; cook, stirring, until heated through, about 4 minutes. Add the reserved kielbasa and season with hot sauce. Serve hot.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To cook brown rice: Place 2/3 cup brown rice, 1 2/3 cups water and a pinch of salt, if desired, in a small saucepan; bring to a simmer. Cover; cook over low heat until rice is tender and most of the liquid has been absorbed, 45 to 50 minutes. Makes about 2 cups.
Per serving: 355 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 20 mg cholesterol; 58 g carbohydrates; 17 g protein; 10 g fiber; 861 mg sodium; 565 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (180% daily value), Vitamin A (30% dv), Iron (20% dv), Potassium (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 starch, 3 vegetable, 1 1/2 lean protein, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less