Vegetable & Sausage Skillet Supper
This satisfying supper is a great way to use up leftover rice and those pesky bits of leftover vegetables that always manage to clog the crisper. Serve with some grated cheese on top and some warm cornbread alongside.
- 8 ounces low-fat kielbasa, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 2 medium zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 2 cups cooked brown rice, (see Tip)
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed
- 1/2 cup water
- Hot sauce, such as Tabasco, to taste
- Cook kielbasa in a large nonstick skillet over high heat, turning from time to time, until lightly browned, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Add oil to the pan. Add onions, zucchini, bell pepper, jalapenos, garlic, cumin, oregano and salt; cook, stirring, until the onions are tender, 4 to 5 minutes. Stir in rice, beans and water; cook, stirring, until heated through, about 4 minutes. Add the reserved kielbasa and season with hot sauce. Serve hot.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To cook brown rice: Place 2/3 cup brown rice, 1 2/3 cups water and a pinch of salt, if desired, in a small saucepan; bring to a simmer. Cover; cook over low heat until rice is tender and most of the liquid has been absorbed, 45 to 50 minutes. Makes about 2 cups.
Per serving: 355 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 20 mg cholesterol; 58 g carbohydrates; 17 g protein; 10 g fiber; 861 mg sodium; 565 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (180% daily value), Vitamin A (30% dv), Iron (20% dv), Potassium (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 starch, 3 vegetable, 1 1/2 lean protein, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique