Green Vegetable Minestrone
Minestrone is sort of a catch-all Italian term for soup, but it’s always a welcome meal, especially when it’s fortified, as it is here, with plenty of vegetables and protein-packed chickpeas. If you want a little more bite, consider substituting mildly bitter escarole for the chard.
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 small leeks, white and light green parts only, quartered, washed and sliced
- 2 small stalks celery, diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 2 small zucchini, quartered lengthwise and sliced
- 1 medium potato, peeled and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 cups water
- 1 cup whole-wheat short pasta, such as elbows, bowties or shells
- 8 cups chopped green chard leaves
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley or basil
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a Dutch oven, over medium heat. Add leeks, celery, onion and 1┌2 teaspoon salt and cook, stirring, until softened, 7 to 10 minutes. Add zucchini, potato and garlic and cook, stirring, about 1 minute more. Add water and the remaining 1 teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, partially covered, until the vegetables are tender, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Add pasta and chard; cook, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Add chickpeas and peas and simmer until the pasta is just tender, 3 to 4 minutes more. Season with pepper. Ladle the soup into bowls and drizzle with the remaining 2 tablespoons oil. Top with Parmesan and parsley (or basil). Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 1, cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Reheat before continuing.
Per serving: 217 calories; 8 g fat (2 g sat, 5 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 31 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 8 g protein; 5 g fiber; 686 mg sodium; 502 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (58% daily value), Vitamin C (38% dv), Magnesium (19% dv), Folate (17% dv), Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique