Green Vegetable Minestrone
Minestrone is sort of a catch-all Italian term for soup, but it’s always a welcome meal, especially when it’s fortified, as it is here, with plenty of vegetables and protein-packed chickpeas. If you want a little more bite, consider substituting mildly bitter escarole for the chard.
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 small leeks, white and light green parts only, quartered, washed and sliced
- 2 small stalks celery, diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 2 small zucchini, quartered lengthwise and sliced
- 1 medium potato, peeled and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 cups water
- 1 cup whole-wheat short pasta, such as elbows, bowties or shells
- 8 cups chopped green chard leaves
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley or basil
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a Dutch oven, over medium heat. Add leeks, celery, onion and 1┌2 teaspoon salt and cook, stirring, until softened, 7 to 10 minutes. Add zucchini, potato and garlic and cook, stirring, about 1 minute more. Add water and the remaining 1 teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, partially covered, until the vegetables are tender, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Add pasta and chard; cook, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Add chickpeas and peas and simmer until the pasta is just tender, 3 to 4 minutes more. Season with pepper. Ladle the soup into bowls and drizzle with the remaining 2 tablespoons oil. Top with Parmesan and parsley (or basil). Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 1, cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Reheat before continuing.
Per serving: 217 calories; 8 g fat (2 g sat, 5 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 31 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 8 g protein; 5 g fiber; 686 mg sodium; 502 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (58% daily value), Vitamin C (38% dv), Magnesium (19% dv), Folate (17% dv), Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique