Vegetable Lover's Chicken Soup
Classic comfort food is yours, in just slightly more than half an hour. Serve with some crusty whole-grain bread and top with grated Romano or Parmesan cheese.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 ounces chicken tenders, cut into bite-size chunks
- 1 small zucchini, finely diced
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning blend
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1 14-ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons orzo, or other tiny pasta, such as farfelline
- 1 1/2 cups packed baby spinach
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Add zucchini, shallot, Italian seasoning and salt and cook, stirring often, until the vegetables are slightly softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Add tomatoes, broth, wine and orzo (or other tiny pasta); increase heat to high and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until the pasta is tender, about 8 minutes, or according to package directions. Stir in spinach, the cooked chicken and any accumulated juices from the chicken; cook, stirring, until the chicken is heated through, about 2 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate up to 3 days or freeze up to 3 months.
Per serving: 261 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 72 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 31 g protein; 2 g fiber; 335 mg sodium; 483 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (70% daily value), Vitamin C (45% dv), Folate (22% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 3 1/2 very lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
Don’t be fooled: granola sounds healthy, but it's often high...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Summer's bounty of fresh berries invites creativity. From...
Fiber-rich okra is delicious, whether pickled, roasted or...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
If you’re following the Paleo Diet then you know that you...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation