Vegetable Lover's Chicken Soup
Classic comfort food is yours, in just slightly more than half an hour. Serve with some crusty whole-grain bread and top with grated Romano or Parmesan cheese.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 ounces chicken tenders, cut into bite-size chunks
- 1 small zucchini, finely diced
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning blend
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1 14-ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons orzo, or other tiny pasta, such as farfelline
- 1 1/2 cups packed baby spinach
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Add zucchini, shallot, Italian seasoning and salt and cook, stirring often, until the vegetables are slightly softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Add tomatoes, broth, wine and orzo (or other tiny pasta); increase heat to high and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until the pasta is tender, about 8 minutes, or according to package directions. Stir in spinach, the cooked chicken and any accumulated juices from the chicken; cook, stirring, until the chicken is heated through, about 2 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate up to 3 days or freeze up to 3 months.
Per serving: 261 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 72 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 31 g protein; 2 g fiber; 335 mg sodium; 483 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (70% daily value), Vitamin C (45% dv), Folate (22% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 3 1/2 very lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
Wraps are a delicious and healthy alternative to standard...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Asparagus, rhubarb, peas, artichokes, beets, carrots and more...
Take advantage of all of the spring’s fresh produce with our...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Healthy scones are as easy to make as a quick bread and these...
Turkish, Lebanese and other Middle Eastern flavors star in...The easiest way to make your chicken sing—punch it up with fresh...
Our healthy lemon recipes are bursting with the bright,...
Preventing heart disease through diet is made easier with our...
Instead of going out for date night, stay in and cook a...
One-pot meals are great, but they often serve a crowd. These...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique