Vegetable Fried Rice
From EatingWell: April/May 2006
Nothing could be easier than this light version of fried rice. We've used instant brown rice, but if you have leftover cold rice or can pick some up at a Chinese restaurant on the way home, use that instead and skip Step 1.
- 1 cup instant brown rice
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 6 ounces asparagus spears, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces (about 1/2 bunch)
- 1 medium red bell pepper, thinly sliced into 1-inch pieces
- 4 scallions, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 4 teaspoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- Hot red pepper sauce, to taste
- Combine rice and broth in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat. Cover, reduce heat and simmer until the liquid is absorbed, 12 to 14 minutes. Spread the rice out on a large plate and let stand for 5 minutes.
- While the rice is cooling, coat a large nonstick wok or skillet with cooking spray and place over medium heat. Pour in eggs and cook, stirring gently, until just set, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Transfer to a small bowl.
- Heat canola oil in the pan over medium-high; add asparagus and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add bell pepper, scallions, garlic and ginger; cook, stirring, until the vegetables are just tender, about 2 minutes. Add the cooked rice, soy sauce and vinegar to the pan; cook until the liquid is absorbed, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Fold in the cooked eggs. Remove from the heat; stir in sesame oil and hot sauce.
Per serving: 364 calories; 14 g fat (2 g sat, 6 g mono); 212 mg cholesterol; 46 g carbohydrates; 14 g protein; 6 g fiber; 675 mg sodium; 444 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (200% daily value), Vitamin A (70% dv), Iron (20% dv), Folate (19% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 medium-fat meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- April/May 2006