Vegetable Fried Rice
From EatingWell: April/May 2006
Nothing could be easier than this light version of fried rice. We've used instant brown rice, but if you have leftover cold rice or can pick some up at a Chinese restaurant on the way home, use that instead and skip Step 1.
- 1 cup instant brown rice
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 6 ounces asparagus spears, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces (about 1/2 bunch)
- 1 medium red bell pepper, thinly sliced into 1-inch pieces
- 4 scallions, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 4 teaspoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- Hot red pepper sauce, to taste
- Combine rice and broth in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat. Cover, reduce heat and simmer until the liquid is absorbed, 12 to 14 minutes. Spread the rice out on a large plate and let stand for 5 minutes.
- While the rice is cooling, coat a large nonstick wok or skillet with cooking spray and place over medium heat. Pour in eggs and cook, stirring gently, until just set, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Transfer to a small bowl.
- Heat canola oil in the pan over medium-high; add asparagus and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add bell pepper, scallions, garlic and ginger; cook, stirring, until the vegetables are just tender, about 2 minutes. Add the cooked rice, soy sauce and vinegar to the pan; cook until the liquid is absorbed, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Fold in the cooked eggs. Remove from the heat; stir in sesame oil and hot sauce.
Per serving: 364 calories; 14 g fat (2 g sat, 6 g mono); 212 mg cholesterol; 46 g carbohydrates; 14 g protein; 6 g fiber; 675 mg sodium; 444 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (200% daily value), Vitamin A (70% dv), Iron (20% dv), Folate (19% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 medium-fat meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- April/May 2006