Roasted Vegetable Antipasto
From EatingWell: November/December 2012
A zesty vinaigrette makes these roasted Brussels sprouts, fennel, carrots and beets pop. If you can’t find small carrots, halve larger ones crosswise then quarter lengthwise. Serve this vegetable antipasto as a side dish or appetizer.
- 12 medium Brussels sprouts
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil plus 2 tablespoons, divided
- 1 large fennel bulb, halved, cored and cut into 1/4-inch wedges
- 12 very small, thin carrots (8 ounces)
- 1 large beet, preferably golden, sliced into 1/4-inch rounds
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon capers, chopped
- 1 anchovy fillet, minced (optional)
- Position racks in upper and lower thirds of oven; preheat to 425°F.
- Trim and halve Brussels sprouts; toss with 1 teaspoon oil in a medium bowl. Spread in a single layer on half of a large baking sheet. Toss fennel in the bowl with another 1 teaspoon oil; spread on the other half of the pan. Toss carrots in the bowl with another 1 teaspoon oil and spread on half of a second baking sheet. Toss beet slices with another 1 teaspoon oil; spread on the other half of the pan. Sprinkle the vegetables with 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Roast the vegetables, stirring once halfway through and rotating the baking sheets top to bottom and front to back, until soft and beginning to caramelize, 25 to 30 minutes. Arrange on a serving platter.
- Meanwhile, mash garlic and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt in a small bowl with the back of a spoon until a paste forms. Add lemon juice, capers and anchovy (if using). Whisk in the remaining 2 tablespoons oil; drizzle over the vegetables.
Tips & Notes
- Easy cleanup: To save time and keep your baking sheet looking fresh, line it with a layer of foil before you bake.
Per serving: 117 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 6 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 4 g fiber; 252 mg sodium; 426 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (126% daily value), Vitamin C (57% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- November/December 2012