Roasted Vegetable Antipasto
From EatingWell: November/December 2012
A zesty vinaigrette makes these roasted Brussels sprouts, fennel, carrots and beets pop. If you can’t find small carrots, halve larger ones crosswise then quarter lengthwise. Serve this vegetable antipasto as a side dish or appetizer.
- 12 medium Brussels sprouts
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil plus 2 tablespoons, divided
- 1 large fennel bulb, halved, cored and cut into 1/4-inch wedges
- 12 very small, thin carrots (8 ounces)
- 1 large beet, preferably golden, sliced into 1/4-inch rounds
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon capers, chopped
- 1 anchovy fillet, minced (optional)
- Position racks in upper and lower thirds of oven; preheat to 425°F.
- Trim and halve Brussels sprouts; toss with 1 teaspoon oil in a medium bowl. Spread in a single layer on half of a large baking sheet. Toss fennel in the bowl with another 1 teaspoon oil; spread on the other half of the pan. Toss carrots in the bowl with another 1 teaspoon oil and spread on half of a second baking sheet. Toss beet slices with another 1 teaspoon oil; spread on the other half of the pan. Sprinkle the vegetables with 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Roast the vegetables, stirring once halfway through and rotating the baking sheets top to bottom and front to back, until soft and beginning to caramelize, 25 to 30 minutes. Arrange on a serving platter.
- Meanwhile, mash garlic and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt in a small bowl with the back of a spoon until a paste forms. Add lemon juice, capers and anchovy (if using). Whisk in the remaining 2 tablespoons oil; drizzle over the vegetables.
Per serving: 117 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 6 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 4 g fiber; 252 mg sodium; 426 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (126% daily value), Vitamin C (57% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- November/December 2012