Roasted Vegetable Antipasto
From EatingWell: November/December 2012
A zesty vinaigrette makes these roasted Brussels sprouts, fennel, carrots and beets pop. If you can’t find small carrots, halve larger ones crosswise then quarter lengthwise. Serve this vegetable antipasto as a side dish or appetizer.
- 12 medium Brussels sprouts
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil plus 2 tablespoons, divided
- 1 large fennel bulb, halved, cored and cut into 1/4-inch wedges
- 12 very small, thin carrots (8 ounces)
- 1 large beet, preferably golden, sliced into 1/4-inch rounds
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon capers, chopped
- 1 anchovy fillet, minced (optional)
- Position racks in upper and lower thirds of oven; preheat to 425°F.
- Trim and halve Brussels sprouts; toss with 1 teaspoon oil in a medium bowl. Spread in a single layer on half of a large baking sheet. Toss fennel in the bowl with another 1 teaspoon oil; spread on the other half of the pan. Toss carrots in the bowl with another 1 teaspoon oil and spread on half of a second baking sheet. Toss beet slices with another 1 teaspoon oil; spread on the other half of the pan. Sprinkle the vegetables with 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Roast the vegetables, stirring once halfway through and rotating the baking sheets top to bottom and front to back, until soft and beginning to caramelize, 25 to 30 minutes. Arrange on a serving platter.
- Meanwhile, mash garlic and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt in a small bowl with the back of a spoon until a paste forms. Add lemon juice, capers and anchovy (if using). Whisk in the remaining 2 tablespoons oil; drizzle over the vegetables.
Per serving: 117 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 6 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 4 g fiber; 252 mg sodium; 426 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (126% daily value), Vitamin C (57% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- November/December 2012