Earthy portobello mushrooms add depth to this rich veal stew. Serve over whole-wheat egg noodles or orzo.
- 4 sprigs sprigs parsley
- 1 3-inch sprig fresh rosemary or 1 teaspoon dried, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 1/2 pounds lean stewing veal (from the leg), trimmed and cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 ounce pancetta, country ham or bacon, finely chopped
- 4 carrots, thickly sliced on the diagonal
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 14-ounce can plum tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth, or water
- 4 cups fresh pearl onions, or 2 cups frozen pearl onions
- 1 pound portobello mushrooms, cut into large pieces, or cremini mushrooms, quartered
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- To make a bouquet garni, tie together parsley sprigs, rosemary and bay leaves with kitchen twine, or place in a cheesecloth bag; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a large ovenproof pot or Dutch oven over high heat. Add half of the veal and brown well on all sides, about 4 minutes. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels and repeat with another 1 1/2 teaspoons oil and the remaining veal. Set aside.
- Reduce the heat to low, add pancetta (or ham or bacon) and cook, stirring, until it begins to brown. Add carrots and cook, stirring, until they begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Add chopped onion and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add garlic and flour and stir for 30 seconds. Pour in wine, scraping the solids from the bottom of the pot. Add tomatoes, broth (or water), the browned veal and the bouquet garni. Bring the stew to a simmer, cover the pot and transfer to the oven. Bake the stew, stirring occasionally, until the veal is tender when pierced with a fork, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Meanwhile, if using fresh pearl onions, bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. Add the onions (unpeeled) and cook for 3 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water. When they are cool enough to handle, trim the ends and peel off the papery skins. (If using frozen pearl onions, thaw under cool running water and pat dry.)
- Heat the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the pearl onions and sauté until golden, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer the onions to a bowl and return the pan to the heat. Add mushrooms and sauté until they begin to exude some liquid, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Stir the pearl onions and mushrooms into the stew during the last 10 minutes of cooking. Just before serving, remove the bouquet garni and stir in chopped parsley. Season with salt and pepper.
Per serving: 248 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 73 mg cholesterol; 25 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 21 g protein; 2 g fiber; 221 mg sodium; 705 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (104% daily value), Selenium (23% dv), Zinc & Potassium (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 4 1/2 vegetables, 2 1/2 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient