Veal Scaloppine with Lemon, Capers & Leeks
This dish is elegant enough for company, yet easy enough to serve on a weeknight. Chicken or turkey cutlets could easily substitute for the veal, if you like.
- 1 pound veal cutlets, (4-6 cutlets), 1/8-1/4 inch thick
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 large leeks, trimmed, washed and thinly sliced
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons capers, rinsed
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Season cutlets on both sides with 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Place flour on a large plate; dredge the cutlets, shaking off excess.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add half the cutlets and cook until golden brown and just cooked through, 1 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a platter; tent with foil to keep warm. Add 2 more teaspoons oil to the pan and cook the remaining cutlets. Transfer to the platter.
- Add the remaining 2 teaspoons oil to the pan. Add leeks and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft and light brown, 6 to 8 minutes. Stir in broth and garlic; bring to a boil, scraping up any brown bits, and simmer for 2 minutes. Stir in capers, lemon zest, lemon juice, parsley and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Return the veal and any accumulated juices to the pan. Cook, turning the veal to coat with the sauce, until heated through, 1 to 2 minutes. To serve, divide veal among 4 plates and top with the leek mixture.
Per serving: 319 calories; 18 g fat (5 g sat, 10 g mono); 74 mg cholesterol; 17 g carbohydrates; 22 g protein; 2 g fiber; 536 mg sodium; 360 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (22% daily value), Vitamin C (22% dv), Folate (20% dv), Zinc (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique