From EatingWell: July/August 1997
Infusing this simple custard sauce with a vanilla bean adds rich flavor. Try it on your favorite summer shortcake or fruit pie.
- 2 cups low-fat milk
- 1/2 vanilla bean, split lengthwise (see Substitution Tip)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- Pinch of salt
- Bring milk and vanilla bean almost to a simmer in a small heavy saucepan over low heat. Remove from heat, cover and let steep for 30 minutes.
- Whisk eggs, sugar and salt in a mixing bowl until well combined.
- Reheat milk over low heat until steaming. Gradually add to egg mixture, whisking constantly. Return mixture to the saucepan.
- Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until thick enough to coat the back of a metal spoon, 7 to 8 minutes. Do not let sauce come to a simmer.
- Pour sauce through a fine-mesh sieve into a clean bowl. Scrape seeds from vanilla bean and stir them into sauce. Cover surface with plastic wrap and refrigerate until chilled, about 2 hours.
Tips & Notes
- Substitution Tip: Two teaspoons of pure vanilla extract can replace the vanilla bean; omit Step 1 and add extract at the end of cooking.
Per 2-tablespoon serving: 40 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 28 mg cholesterol; 6 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 0 g fiber; 34 mg sodium; 8 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, sweet
- Ease of Preparation
- July/August 1997