From EatingWell: July/August 1997
Infusing this simple custard sauce with a vanilla bean adds rich flavor. Try it on your favorite summer shortcake or fruit pie.
- 2 cups low-fat milk
- 1/2 vanilla bean, split lengthwise (see Substitution Tip)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- Pinch of salt
- Bring milk and vanilla bean almost to a simmer in a small heavy saucepan over low heat. Remove from heat, cover and let steep for 30 minutes.
- Whisk eggs, sugar and salt in a mixing bowl until well combined.
- Reheat milk over low heat until steaming. Gradually add to egg mixture, whisking constantly. Return mixture to the saucepan.
- Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until thick enough to coat the back of a metal spoon, 7 to 8 minutes. Do not let sauce come to a simmer.
- Pour sauce through a fine-mesh sieve into a clean bowl. Scrape seeds from vanilla bean and stir them into sauce. Cover surface with plastic wrap and refrigerate until chilled, about 2 hours.
Tips & Notes
- Substitution Tip: Two teaspoons of pure vanilla extract can replace the vanilla bean; omit Step 1 and add extract at the end of cooking.
Per 2-tablespoon serving: 40 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 28 mg cholesterol; 6 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 0 g fiber; 34 mg sodium; 8 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- 8 or more
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, sweet
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- July/August 1997