From EatingWell: July/August 1997
Infusing this simple custard sauce with a vanilla bean adds rich flavor. Try it on your favorite summer shortcake or fruit pie.
- 2 cups low-fat milk
- 1/2 vanilla bean, split lengthwise (see Substitution Tip)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- Pinch of salt
- Bring milk and vanilla bean almost to a simmer in a small heavy saucepan over low heat. Remove from heat, cover and let steep for 30 minutes.
- Whisk eggs, sugar and salt in a mixing bowl until well combined.
- Reheat milk over low heat until steaming. Gradually add to egg mixture, whisking constantly. Return mixture to the saucepan.
- Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until thick enough to coat the back of a metal spoon, 7 to 8 minutes. Do not let sauce come to a simmer.
- Pour sauce through a fine-mesh sieve into a clean bowl. Scrape seeds from vanilla bean and stir them into sauce. Cover surface with plastic wrap and refrigerate until chilled, about 2 hours.
Tips & Notes
- Substitution Tip: Two teaspoons of pure vanilla extract can replace the vanilla bean; omit Step 1 and add extract at the end of cooking.
Per 2-tablespoon serving: 40 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 28 mg cholesterol; 6 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 0 g fiber; 34 mg sodium; 8 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
Make cooking Thanksgiving dinner easier with these simple...
If hungry guests are on their way for Thanksgiving dinner,...
These healthy, flavorful Thanksgiving side dishes are...
Use wild rice in a variety of healthy side dishes, including...
One of the most iconic fall vegetables, squash is a versatile...
Sauces and relishes provide the sweet or savory flavor...
Tender, sweet and just a little nutty, Brussels sprouts add a...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
There's nothing more enticing than walking into the kitchen...
If you have celiac disease or are sensitive to gluten, there...
Serve one of these healthy vegetarian main dishes, and you're...
The holiday season is the perfect time to use fresh...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
If you’re looking for a quick and easy appetizer to make for...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Take the stress out of Thanksgiving with these easy, healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, sweet
- July/August 1997