Vanilla Ice Cream
From EatingWell: May/June 1993
This crowd-pleasing vanilla ice cream is delicious on its own, or when topped with Dark Chocolate Sauce and Nut Praline Topping; a cherry is optional.
- 4 cups nonfat milk, divided
- 1/4 cup corn syrup
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups Marshmallow Fluff
- Combine 3 3/4 cups milk and corn syrup in a large heavy saucepan. Heat over medium heat, stirring to dissolve the corn syrup, until steaming. Meanwhile, whisk together egg yolks, cornstarch and the remaining 1/4 cup cold milk in a medium bowl until smooth. Gradually whisk 1 cup hot milk into the egg-yolk mixture; then pour the egg-yolk mixture into the hot milk in the pan. Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly until the mixture boils and thickens, 3 to 5 minutes. (Because the custard is thickened with cornstarch, it will not curdle when it boils.)
- Transfer the custard to a large clean bowl and place a piece of wax paper directly over the surface to prevent a skin from forming. Cool completely. Whisk in Fluff and vanilla until as smooth as possible. (The mixture will be a little lumpy; lumps will break down during stir-freezing.) Pour into the canister of an ice cream maker and freeze following the manufacturer’s instructions.
Per serving: 217 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 79 mg cholesterol; 43 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 0 g fiber; 99 mg sodium; 215 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (16% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 1/2 fat-free milk, 2 other carbohydrates
More From EatingWell
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
Don’t be fooled: granola sounds healthy, but it's often high...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Summer's bounty of fresh berries invites creativity. From...
Fiber-rich okra is delicious, whether pickled, roasted or...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
If you’re following the Paleo Diet then you know that you...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ice Cream Maker
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, frozen
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- May/June 1993