Vanilla Ice Cream
From EatingWell: May/June 1993
This crowd-pleasing vanilla ice cream is delicious on its own, or when topped with Dark Chocolate Sauce and Nut Praline Topping; a cherry is optional.
- 4 cups nonfat milk, divided
- 1/4 cup corn syrup
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups Marshmallow Fluff
- Combine 3 3/4 cups milk and corn syrup in a large heavy saucepan. Heat over medium heat, stirring to dissolve the corn syrup, until steaming. Meanwhile, whisk together egg yolks, cornstarch and the remaining 1/4 cup cold milk in a medium bowl until smooth. Gradually whisk 1 cup hot milk into the egg-yolk mixture; then pour the egg-yolk mixture into the hot milk in the pan. Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly until the mixture boils and thickens, 3 to 5 minutes. (Because the custard is thickened with cornstarch, it will not curdle when it boils.)
- Transfer the custard to a large clean bowl and place a piece of wax paper directly over the surface to prevent a skin from forming. Cool completely. Whisk in Fluff and vanilla until as smooth as possible. (The mixture will be a little lumpy; lumps will break down during stir-freezing.) Pour into the canister of an ice cream maker and freeze following the manufacturer’s instructions.
Per serving: 217 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 79 mg cholesterol; 43 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 0 g fiber; 99 mg sodium; 215 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (16% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 1/2 fat-free milk, 2 other carbohydrates
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ice Cream Maker
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, frozen
- May/June 1993