Vanilla Ice Cream
From EatingWell: May/June 1993
This crowd-pleasing vanilla ice cream is delicious on its own, or when topped with Dark Chocolate Sauce and Nut Praline Topping; a cherry is optional.
- 4 cups nonfat milk, divided
- 1/4 cup corn syrup
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups Marshmallow Fluff
- Combine 3 3/4 cups milk and corn syrup in a large heavy saucepan. Heat over medium heat, stirring to dissolve the corn syrup, until steaming. Meanwhile, whisk together egg yolks, cornstarch and the remaining 1/4 cup cold milk in a medium bowl until smooth. Gradually whisk 1 cup hot milk into the egg-yolk mixture; then pour the egg-yolk mixture into the hot milk in the pan. Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly until the mixture boils and thickens, 3 to 5 minutes. (Because the custard is thickened with cornstarch, it will not curdle when it boils.)
- Transfer the custard to a large clean bowl and place a piece of wax paper directly over the surface to prevent a skin from forming. Cool completely. Whisk in Fluff and vanilla until as smooth as possible. (The mixture will be a little lumpy; lumps will break down during stir-freezing.) Pour into the canister of an ice cream maker and freeze following the manufacturer’s instructions.
Per serving: 217 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 79 mg cholesterol; 43 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 0 g fiber; 99 mg sodium; 215 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (16% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 1/2 fat-free milk, 2 other carbohydrates
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ice Cream Maker
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, frozen
- May/June 1993