Upside-Down Nectarine Muffins
From EatingWell: May/June 1997
These upside-down nectarine muffins are a delicious summertime breakfast treat.
- 6 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 3-4 nectarines (12 ounces), pitted and thinly sliced
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat 12 muffin cups with cooking spray.
- Spoon 1 1/2 teaspoons brown sugar into each muffin cup; pat into an even layer. Arrange nectarine slices, slightly overlapping, over brown sugar.
- Whisk egg, egg white and granulated sugar in a medium bowl until smooth. Add yogurt, oil and vanilla and whisk until blended. Whisk all-purpose and whole-wheat flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg in a large bowl. Make a well in the dry ingredients; add wet ingredients and stir with a rubber spatula until just combined.
- Spoon batter over nectarines. Set muffin pan on a foil-lined baking sheet to catch any drips of sugar. Bake until tops spring back when touched lightly, 15 to 20 minutes. Immediately loosen edges and turn muffins out onto a baking sheet (caramel may drip). Replace any stray nectarine slices. Let cool slightly before serving.
Per muffin: 220 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 18 mg cholesterol; 40 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 2 g fiber; 237 mg sodium; 100 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Mother's Day
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 1997