Upside-Down Nectarine Muffins
From EatingWell: May/June 1997
These upside-down nectarine muffins are a delicious summertime breakfast treat.
- 6 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 3-4 nectarines (12 ounces), pitted and thinly sliced
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat 12 muffin cups with cooking spray.
- Spoon 1 1/2 teaspoons brown sugar into each muffin cup; pat into an even layer. Arrange nectarine slices, slightly overlapping, over brown sugar.
- Whisk egg, egg white and granulated sugar in a medium bowl until smooth. Add yogurt, oil and vanilla and whisk until blended. Whisk all-purpose and whole-wheat flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg in a large bowl. Make a well in the dry ingredients; add wet ingredients and stir with a rubber spatula until just combined.
- Spoon batter over nectarines. Set muffin pan on a foil-lined baking sheet to catch any drips of sugar. Bake until tops spring back when touched lightly, 15 to 20 minutes. Immediately loosen edges and turn muffins out onto a baking sheet (caramel may drip). Replace any stray nectarine slices. Let cool slightly before serving.
Per muffin: 220 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 18 mg cholesterol; 40 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 2 g fiber; 237 mg sodium; 100 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy sandwich recipes, salad recipes and dip recipes...
If you’re trying to slim down, try adding foods to your diet...
There’s no “magic bullet” for preventing high blood pressure...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
If you’re feeling blue—or want to ward off feeling that way—...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
When you’re trying to slim down, a high-fiber, low-calorie...
Research shows that a compound in chiles, called capsaicin,...
You can still enjoy the delicious summertime flavor of...
Skip the frozen veggie burgers and make your own vegetarian...
Healthy pasta dishes are at the heart of Italian cuisine....
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Make a delicious Easter brunch or dinner this year with our...
Berries and other spring fruit star in our healthy Easter...
If you’re entertaining this Easter or bringing a dish to...
Make your Passover meal light and healthful with some of our...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Mother's Day
- May/June 1997