Upside-Down Nectarine Muffins
From EatingWell: May/June 1997
These upside-down nectarine muffins are a delicious summertime breakfast treat.
- 6 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 3-4 nectarines (12 ounces), pitted and thinly sliced
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat 12 muffin cups with cooking spray.
- Spoon 1 1/2 teaspoons brown sugar into each muffin cup; pat into an even layer. Arrange nectarine slices, slightly overlapping, over brown sugar.
- Whisk egg, egg white and granulated sugar in a medium bowl until smooth. Add yogurt, oil and vanilla and whisk until blended. Whisk all-purpose and whole-wheat flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg in a large bowl. Make a well in the dry ingredients; add wet ingredients and stir with a rubber spatula until just combined.
- Spoon batter over nectarines. Set muffin pan on a foil-lined baking sheet to catch any drips of sugar. Bake until tops spring back when touched lightly, 15 to 20 minutes. Immediately loosen edges and turn muffins out onto a baking sheet (caramel may drip). Replace any stray nectarine slices. Let cool slightly before serving.
Per muffin: 220 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 18 mg cholesterol; 40 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 2 g fiber; 237 mg sodium; 100 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Mother's Day
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 1997