Upside-Down Nectarine Muffins
From EatingWell: May/June 1997
These upside-down nectarine muffins are a delicious summertime breakfast treat.
- 6 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 3-4 nectarines (12 ounces), pitted and thinly sliced
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat 12 muffin cups with cooking spray.
- Spoon 1 1/2 teaspoons brown sugar into each muffin cup; pat into an even layer. Arrange nectarine slices, slightly overlapping, over brown sugar.
- Whisk egg, egg white and granulated sugar in a medium bowl until smooth. Add yogurt, oil and vanilla and whisk until blended. Whisk all-purpose and whole-wheat flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg in a large bowl. Make a well in the dry ingredients; add wet ingredients and stir with a rubber spatula until just combined.
- Spoon batter over nectarines. Set muffin pan on a foil-lined baking sheet to catch any drips of sugar. Bake until tops spring back when touched lightly, 15 to 20 minutes. Immediately loosen edges and turn muffins out onto a baking sheet (caramel may drip). Replace any stray nectarine slices. Let cool slightly before serving.
Per muffin: 220 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 18 mg cholesterol; 40 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 2 g fiber; 237 mg sodium; 100 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
Don’t be fooled: granola sounds healthy, but it's often high...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Summer's bounty of fresh berries invites creativity. From...
Fiber-rich okra is delicious, whether pickled, roasted or...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
If you’re following the Paleo Diet then you know that you...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Mother's Day
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- May/June 1997