Upside-Down Nectarine Muffins
From EatingWell: May/June 1997
These upside-down nectarine muffins are a delicious summertime breakfast treat.
- 6 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 3-4 nectarines (12 ounces), pitted and thinly sliced
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat 12 muffin cups with cooking spray.
- Spoon 1 1/2 teaspoons brown sugar into each muffin cup; pat into an even layer. Arrange nectarine slices, slightly overlapping, over brown sugar.
- Whisk egg, egg white and granulated sugar in a medium bowl until smooth. Add yogurt, oil and vanilla and whisk until blended. Whisk all-purpose and whole-wheat flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg in a large bowl. Make a well in the dry ingredients; add wet ingredients and stir with a rubber spatula until just combined.
- Spoon batter over nectarines. Set muffin pan on a foil-lined baking sheet to catch any drips of sugar. Bake until tops spring back when touched lightly, 15 to 20 minutes. Immediately loosen edges and turn muffins out onto a baking sheet (caramel may drip). Replace any stray nectarine slices. Let cool slightly before serving.
Per muffin: 220 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 18 mg cholesterol; 40 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 2 g fiber; 237 mg sodium; 100 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Mother's Day
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- May/June 1997