Two-Toned Mashed Potatoes
From EatingWell: November/December 2012
In this recipe, Yukon Gold potatoes and sweet potatoes are roughly mashed together with leeks for a beautiful mottled white-and-orange take on mashed potatoes. The creme fraiche topping offers a tangy counterpoint.
- 1 tablespoon buttermilk plus 2/3 cup, divided
- 2 tablespoons crème fraîche or sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder or granulated onion
- Pinch of salt plus 3/4 teaspoon, divided
- 1 1/2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 small leek, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced, white and light green parts only
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut into 4 pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh chives
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Combine 1 tablespoon buttermilk, crème fraîche (or sour cream), onion powder (or granulated onion) and pinch of salt. Cover and refrigerate while you cook the vegetables.
- Add potatoes, sweet potatoes and leek to the boiling water and return to a boil. Reduce heat to maintain a vigorous simmer and cook until tender enough to pierce with a knife, 12 to 15 minutes. Drain and return the vegetables to the pan (off the heat).
- Add the remaining 2/3 cup buttermilk, the remaining 3/4 teaspoon salt, butter and pepper to the pan; coarsely mash with a potato masher. Serve topped with the sauce and chives.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare sauce (Step 2) and vegetables (Steps 1 & 3), cover and refrigerate separately for up to 1 day. Reheat vegetables, covered, in the microwave or a double boiler before continuing with Step 4.
Per serving: 117 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 6 mg cholesterol; 21 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 2 g fiber; 190 mg sodium; 318 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (142% daily value), Vitamin C (18% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Turnips are a root vegetable with purple-white skin and a...
A piping-hot bowl of soup makes a delicious dinner and an...
Instead of ordering takeout tonight, try an easy chicken stir...
Whether you’re eating chickpeas in a salad, pasta dish or...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
Vegetables are one of the healthiest foods you can eat,...
Our healthy low-carb desserts are delicious ways to end your...
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- November/December 2012