Twice-Baked Goat Cheese Potatoes
From EatingWell: January/February 1997
Combining low-fat cottage cheese with goat cheese adds creaminess without as much fat.
- 6 russet potatoes (6-8 ounces each), scrubbed
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- 3/4 cup low-fat cottage cheese
- 4 ounces creamy goat cheese, cut into pieces
- 1/3 cup chopped scallions
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Pierce potatoes with a fork and wrap each one in a double thickness of microwave-safe paper towel. Microwave on high for a total of 20 to 30 minutes, turning over and rearranging potatoes once, or until soft when pinched. (Alternatively, place pierced potatoes directly on oven rack and bake at 450°F for 50 to 60 minutes.)
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- As soon as the potatoes are cool enough to handle, slice off top third (lengthwise) of each. Scoop potato flesh into a mixing bowl, reserving potato-skin shells. Sprinkle oil over potato flesh, season with salt and pepper and mash with a potato masher.
- Puree cottage cheese in a food processor. Add goat cheese and process until smooth. Scrape cheese mixture into mashed potatoes and mix with the potato masher. Gently fold in scallions and parsley with a rubber spatula. Taste and adjust seasonings. Mound potato filling into potato shells. Use the tines of a fork to give the tops a decorative finish.
- Set stuffed potatoes on a baking sheet or in a shallow baking dish and bake until golden and heated through, 30 to 40 minutes. Serve hot.
Per serving: 229 calories; 7 g fat (3 g sat, 3 g mono); 10 mg cholesterol; 32 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 11 g protein; 2 g fiber; 243 mg sodium; 761 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Potassium (22% daily value), Vitamin A (21% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 medium-fat meat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, potato/starch
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- January/February 1997