Twice-Baked Goat Cheese Potatoes
From EatingWell: January/February 1997
Combining low-fat cottage cheese with goat cheese adds creaminess without as much fat.
- 6 russet potatoes (6-8 ounces each), scrubbed
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- 3/4 cup low-fat cottage cheese
- 4 ounces creamy goat cheese, cut into pieces
- 1/3 cup chopped scallions
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Pierce potatoes with a fork and wrap each one in a double thickness of microwave-safe paper towel. Microwave on high for a total of 20 to 30 minutes, turning over and rearranging potatoes once, or until soft when pinched. (Alternatively, place pierced potatoes directly on oven rack and bake at 450°F for 50 to 60 minutes.)
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- As soon as the potatoes are cool enough to handle, slice off top third (lengthwise) of each. Scoop potato flesh into a mixing bowl, reserving potato-skin shells. Sprinkle oil over potato flesh, season with salt and pepper and mash with a potato masher.
- Puree cottage cheese in a food processor. Add goat cheese and process until smooth. Scrape cheese mixture into mashed potatoes and mix with the potato masher. Gently fold in scallions and parsley with a rubber spatula. Taste and adjust seasonings. Mound potato filling into potato shells. Use the tines of a fork to give the tops a decorative finish.
- Set stuffed potatoes on a baking sheet or in a shallow baking dish and bake until golden and heated through, 30 to 40 minutes. Serve hot.
Per serving: 229 calories; 7 g fat (3 g sat, 3 g mono); 10 mg cholesterol; 32 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 11 g protein; 2 g fiber; 243 mg sodium; 761 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Potassium (22% daily value), Vitamin A (21% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 medium-fat meat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, potato/starch
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- January/February 1997