Twice-Baked Goat Cheese Potatoes
From EatingWell: January/February 1997
Combining low-fat cottage cheese with goat cheese adds creaminess without as much fat.
- 6 russet potatoes (6-8 ounces each), scrubbed
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- 3/4 cup low-fat cottage cheese
- 4 ounces creamy goat cheese, cut into pieces
- 1/3 cup chopped scallions
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Pierce potatoes with a fork and wrap each one in a double thickness of microwave-safe paper towel. Microwave on high for a total of 20 to 30 minutes, turning over and rearranging potatoes once, or until soft when pinched. (Alternatively, place pierced potatoes directly on oven rack and bake at 450°F for 50 to 60 minutes.)
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- As soon as the potatoes are cool enough to handle, slice off top third (lengthwise) of each. Scoop potato flesh into a mixing bowl, reserving potato-skin shells. Sprinkle oil over potato flesh, season with salt and pepper and mash with a potato masher.
- Puree cottage cheese in a food processor. Add goat cheese and process until smooth. Scrape cheese mixture into mashed potatoes and mix with the potato masher. Gently fold in scallions and parsley with a rubber spatula. Taste and adjust seasonings. Mound potato filling into potato shells. Use the tines of a fork to give the tops a decorative finish.
- Set stuffed potatoes on a baking sheet or in a shallow baking dish and bake until golden and heated through, 30 to 40 minutes. Serve hot.
Per serving: 229 calories; 7 g fat (3 g sat, 3 g mono); 10 mg cholesterol; 32 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 11 g protein; 2 g fiber; 243 mg sodium; 761 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Potassium (22% daily value), Vitamin A (21% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 medium-fat meat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, potato/starch
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- January/February 1997