Twice-Baked Goat Cheese Potatoes
From EatingWell: January/February 1997
Combining low-fat cottage cheese with goat cheese adds creaminess without as much fat.
- 6 russet potatoes (6-8 ounces each), scrubbed
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- 3/4 cup low-fat cottage cheese
- 4 ounces creamy goat cheese, cut into pieces
- 1/3 cup chopped scallions
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Pierce potatoes with a fork and wrap each one in a double thickness of microwave-safe paper towel. Microwave on high for a total of 20 to 30 minutes, turning over and rearranging potatoes once, or until soft when pinched. (Alternatively, place pierced potatoes directly on oven rack and bake at 450°F for 50 to 60 minutes.)
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- As soon as the potatoes are cool enough to handle, slice off top third (lengthwise) of each. Scoop potato flesh into a mixing bowl, reserving potato-skin shells. Sprinkle oil over potato flesh, season with salt and pepper and mash with a potato masher.
- Puree cottage cheese in a food processor. Add goat cheese and process until smooth. Scrape cheese mixture into mashed potatoes and mix with the potato masher. Gently fold in scallions and parsley with a rubber spatula. Taste and adjust seasonings. Mound potato filling into potato shells. Use the tines of a fork to give the tops a decorative finish.
- Set stuffed potatoes on a baking sheet or in a shallow baking dish and bake until golden and heated through, 30 to 40 minutes. Serve hot.
Per serving: 229 calories; 7 g fat (3 g sat, 3 g mono); 10 mg cholesterol; 32 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 11 g protein; 2 g fiber; 243 mg sodium; 761 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Potassium (22% daily value), Vitamin A (21% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 medium-fat meat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, potato/starch
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- January/February 1997