Twice-Baked Goat Cheese Potatoes
From EatingWell: January/February 1997
Combining low-fat cottage cheese with goat cheese adds creaminess without as much fat.
- 6 russet potatoes (6-8 ounces each), scrubbed
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- 3/4 cup low-fat cottage cheese
- 4 ounces creamy goat cheese, cut into pieces
- 1/3 cup chopped scallions
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Pierce potatoes with a fork and wrap each one in a double thickness of microwave-safe paper towel. Microwave on high for a total of 20 to 30 minutes, turning over and rearranging potatoes once, or until soft when pinched. (Alternatively, place pierced potatoes directly on oven rack and bake at 450°F for 50 to 60 minutes.)
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- As soon as the potatoes are cool enough to handle, slice off top third (lengthwise) of each. Scoop potato flesh into a mixing bowl, reserving potato-skin shells. Sprinkle oil over potato flesh, season with salt and pepper and mash with a potato masher.
- Puree cottage cheese in a food processor. Add goat cheese and process until smooth. Scrape cheese mixture into mashed potatoes and mix with the potato masher. Gently fold in scallions and parsley with a rubber spatula. Taste and adjust seasonings. Mound potato filling into potato shells. Use the tines of a fork to give the tops a decorative finish.
- Set stuffed potatoes on a baking sheet or in a shallow baking dish and bake until golden and heated through, 30 to 40 minutes. Serve hot.
Per serving: 229 calories; 7 g fat (3 g sat, 3 g mono); 10 mg cholesterol; 32 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 11 g protein; 2 g fiber; 243 mg sodium; 761 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Potassium (22% daily value), Vitamin A (21% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 medium-fat meat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, potato/starch
- January/February 1997