Tuscan Tuna & White Bean Salad
From EatingWell: May/June 1995
Juicy fresh tomatoes replace some of the usual olive oil in this traditional tuna and white bean salad.
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 15-ounce can white beans (cannellini or Great Northern), rinsed
- 2 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley, preferably Italian flat-leaf
- 1 12-ounce can (or two 6-ounce cans) chunk light tuna in water, drained and flaked (see Note)
- Whisk together oil, lemon juice, garlic and rosemary in a bowl. Add beans, tomatoes and parsley and toss together. Gently stir in tuna.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Chunk light tuna, which comes from the smaller skipjack or yellowfin, has less mercury than canned white albacore tuna. The FDA/EPA advises that women who are or might become pregnant, nursing mothers and young children consume no more than 6 ounces of albacore a week; up to 12 ounces of canned light tuna is considered safe.
Per serving: 178 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 6 g mono); 17 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 18 g protein; 4 g fiber; 338 mg sodium; 393 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (66% daily value), Vitamin C (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 2 very lean meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 1995