Tuscan Tuna & White Bean Salad
From EatingWell: May/June 1995
Juicy fresh tomatoes replace some of the usual olive oil in this traditional tuna and white bean salad.
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 15-ounce can white beans (cannellini or Great Northern), rinsed
- 2 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley, preferably Italian flat-leaf
- 1 12-ounce can (or two 6-ounce cans) chunk light tuna in water, drained and flaked (see Note)
- Whisk together oil, lemon juice, garlic and rosemary in a bowl. Add beans, tomatoes and parsley and toss together. Gently stir in tuna.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Chunk light tuna, which comes from the smaller skipjack or yellowfin, has less mercury than canned white albacore tuna. The FDA/EPA advises that women who are or might become pregnant, nursing mothers and young children consume no more than 6 ounces of albacore a week; up to 12 ounces of canned light tuna is considered safe.
Per serving: 178 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 6 g mono); 17 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 18 g protein; 4 g fiber; 338 mg sodium; 393 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (66% daily value), Vitamin C (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 2 very lean meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- May/June 1995
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)