Tuscan Spinach, Bean & Sausage Soup
From EatingWell: January/February 1998
Pantry staples like cannellini beans, frozen spinach and chicken broth make this soup a snap to throw together on a busy weeknight. Make it a meal: Serve with crusty whole-grain bread and sliced tomatoes.
- 1 link hot Italian-style turkey sausage
- 1 19-ounce can cannellini beans, rinsed
- 1 14-ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 8 ounces frozen cut-leaf spinach
- 1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Bring sausage and 1/4 inch water to a simmer in a small skillet over medium heat. Cook, uncovered, until water evaporates, 5 to 10 minutes. Continue to cook until the sausage is browned on all sides, about 4 minutes more. Transfer to a cutting board; when cool enough to handle, cut into 1/2-inch pieces.
- Combine the sausage, beans, broth, garlic, spinach and marjoram in a medium saucepan. Cover and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in cheese just before serving.
Per serving: 137 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 15 mg cholesterol; 19 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 14 g protein; 7 g fiber; 778 mg sodium; 588 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (133% daily value), Folate (42% dv), Calcium & Iron (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable
More From EatingWell
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Eating meatless at least once a week has a host of health...
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
These healthy vegan recipes take you on a virtual trip around...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- January/February 1998