Tuscan Spinach, Bean & Sausage Soup
From EatingWell: January/February 1998
Pantry staples like cannellini beans, frozen spinach and chicken broth make this soup a snap to throw together on a busy weeknight. Make it a meal: Serve with crusty whole-grain bread and sliced tomatoes.
- 1 link hot Italian-style turkey sausage
- 1 19-ounce can cannellini beans, rinsed
- 1 14-ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 8 ounces frozen cut-leaf spinach
- 1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Bring sausage and 1/4 inch water to a simmer in a small skillet over medium heat. Cook, uncovered, until water evaporates, 5 to 10 minutes. Continue to cook until the sausage is browned on all sides, about 4 minutes more. Transfer to a cutting board; when cool enough to handle, cut into 1/2-inch pieces.
- Combine the sausage, beans, broth, garlic, spinach and marjoram in a medium saucepan. Cover and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in cheese just before serving.
Per serving: 137 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 15 mg cholesterol; 19 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 14 g protein; 7 g fiber; 778 mg sodium; 588 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (133% daily value), Folate (42% dv), Calcium & Iron (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- January/February 1998