Tuscan Pork Loin
From EatingWell: December 2005/January 2006
Roasted pork loin is a staple of Italian cooking. In this recipe we coat the lean meat with garlic, rosemary and aromatic lemon zest before it goes in the oven, and then deglaze the pan with vermouth to make a savory gravy. The roast is perfect for entertaining but equally at home for a Sunday family supper.
- 1 3-pound pork loin, trimmed
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed and peeled
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 3/4 cup dry vermouth, or white wine
- 2 tablespoons white-wine vinegar
- Tie kitchen string around pork in three places so it doesn’t flatten while roasting. Place salt and garlic in a small bowl and mash with the back of a spoon to form a paste. Stir in oil, rosemary and lemon zest; rub the mixture into the pork. Refrigerate, uncovered, for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Place the pork in a roasting pan. Roast, turning once or twice, until a thermometer inserted into the thickest part registers 145°F, 40 to 50 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board; let rest for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add vermouth (or wine) and vinegar to the roasting pan and place over medium-high heat. Bring to a simmer and cook, scraping up any browned bits, until the sauce is reduced by half, 2 to 4 minutes. Remove the string and slice the roast. Add any accumulated juices to the sauce and serve with the pork.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Equipment: Kitchen string
Per 3-ounce serving: 221 calories; 11 g fat (3 g sat, 6 g mono); 69 mg cholesterol; 1 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 24 g protein; 0 g fiber; 156 mg sodium; 368 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Thiamin (58% daily value), Selenium (50% dv).
Exchanges: 3.5 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- December 2005/January 2006