Tuscan Pork Loin
From EatingWell: December 2005/January 2006
Roasted pork loin is a staple of Italian cooking. In this recipe we coat the lean meat with garlic, rosemary and aromatic lemon zest before it goes in the oven, and then deglaze the pan with vermouth to make a savory gravy. The roast is perfect for entertaining but equally at home for a Sunday family supper.
- 1 3-pound pork loin, trimmed
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed and peeled
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 3/4 cup dry vermouth, or white wine
- 2 tablespoons white-wine vinegar
- Tie kitchen string around pork in three places so it doesn’t flatten while roasting. Place salt and garlic in a small bowl and mash with the back of a spoon to form a paste. Stir in oil, rosemary and lemon zest; rub the mixture into the pork. Refrigerate, uncovered, for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Place the pork in a roasting pan. Roast, turning once or twice, until a thermometer inserted into the thickest part registers 145°F, 40 to 50 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board; let rest for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add vermouth (or wine) and vinegar to the roasting pan and place over medium-high heat. Bring to a simmer and cook, scraping up any browned bits, until the sauce is reduced by half, 2 to 4 minutes. Remove the string and slice the roast. Add any accumulated juices to the sauce and serve with the pork.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Equipment: Kitchen string
Per 3-ounce serving: 221 calories; 11 g fat (3 g sat, 6 g mono); 69 mg cholesterol; 1 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 24 g protein; 0 g fiber; 156 mg sodium; 368 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Thiamin (58% daily value), Selenium (50% dv).
Exchanges: 3.5 lean meat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- December 2005/January 2006