Tuscan Kale & White Bean Bruschetta
From EatingWell: September/October 2014
In this classic Tuscan combination, kale and white beans are whirled into a spread for this easy bruschetta recipe. Serve on crostini, toss it with pasta for an appetizer, use it as a panini spread or stir the bruschetta topping into a bowl of chicken soup.
- 1 pound Tuscan kale (lacinato or dinosaur) or curly kale
- 1 tablespoon coarse salt
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 2 small cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 15-ounce can cannellini beans, rinsed, or 1 1/2 cups cooked white beans
- 20 1/2-inch slices baguette, toasted
- Put a large pot of water on to boil.
- Strip kale off the tough stems; discard the stems. Add the leaves and coarse salt to the boiling water. Cook, stirring frequently, until tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Drain in a colander and rinse with cold water. Drain well and squeeze to remove most but not all moisture.
- Puree half the kale with 1/4 cup oil, garlic and fine salt in a food processor to form a smooth, stiff paste. Coarsely chop the remaining kale and mix it with the kale paste in a bowl.
- Combine 1/2 cup kale paste with white beans in another bowl. (Reserve the remaining kale paste for another use.) Top each piece of toasted baguette with a generous tablespoon of the kale-bean mixture. Serve drizzled with a little olive oil, if desired.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare kale paste (Steps 1-3), cover with a thin layer of olive oil and refrigerate for up to 1 week.
Per serving: 110 calories; 4 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 18 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 5 g protein; 4 g fiber; 252 mg sodium; 174 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (46% daily value), Vitamin A (45% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Type of Dish
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- September/October 2014