Tuscan Kale & White Bean Bruschetta
From EatingWell: September/October 2014
In this classic Tuscan combination, kale and white beans are whirled into a spread for this easy bruschetta recipe. Serve on crostini, toss it with pasta for an appetizer, use it as a panini spread or stir the bruschetta topping into a bowl of chicken soup.
- 1 pound Tuscan kale (lacinato or dinosaur) or curly kale
- 1 tablespoon coarse salt
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 2 small cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 15-ounce can cannellini beans, rinsed, or 1 1/2 cups cooked white beans
- 20 1/2-inch slices baguette, toasted
- Put a large pot of water on to boil.
- Strip kale off the tough stems; discard the stems. Add the leaves and coarse salt to the boiling water. Cook, stirring frequently, until tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Drain in a colander and rinse with cold water. Drain well and squeeze to remove most but not all moisture.
- Puree half the kale with 1/4 cup oil, garlic and fine salt in a food processor to form a smooth, stiff paste. Coarsely chop the remaining kale and mix it with the kale paste in a bowl.
- Combine 1/2 cup kale paste with white beans in another bowl. (Reserve the remaining kale paste for another use.) Top each piece of toasted baguette with a generous tablespoon of the kale-bean mixture. Serve drizzled with a little olive oil, if desired.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare kale paste (Steps 1-3), cover with a thin layer of olive oil and refrigerate for up to 1 week.
Per serving: 110 calories; 4 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 18 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 5 g protein; 4 g fiber; 252 mg sodium; 174 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (46% daily value), Vitamin A (45% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Type of Dish
- Ease of Preparation
- September/October 2014