Tuscan Kale & White Bean Bruschetta
From EatingWell: September/October 2014
In this classic Tuscan combination, kale and white beans are whirled into a spread for this easy bruschetta recipe. Serve on crostini, toss it with pasta for an appetizer, use it as a panini spread or stir the bruschetta topping into a bowl of chicken soup.
- 1 pound Tuscan kale (lacinato or dinosaur) or curly kale
- 1 tablespoon coarse salt
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 2 small cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 15-ounce can cannellini beans, rinsed, or 1 1/2 cups cooked white beans
- 20 1/2-inch slices baguette, toasted
- Put a large pot of water on to boil.
- Strip kale off the tough stems; discard the stems. Add the leaves and coarse salt to the boiling water. Cook, stirring frequently, until tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Drain in a colander and rinse with cold water. Drain well and squeeze to remove most but not all moisture.
- Puree half the kale with 1/4 cup oil, garlic and fine salt in a food processor to form a smooth, stiff paste. Coarsely chop the remaining kale and mix it with the kale paste in a bowl.
- Combine 1/2 cup kale paste with white beans in another bowl. (Reserve the remaining kale paste for another use.) Top each piece of toasted baguette with a generous tablespoon of the kale-bean mixture. Serve drizzled with a little olive oil, if desired.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare kale paste (Steps 1-3), cover with a thin layer of olive oil and refrigerate for up to 1 week.
Per serving: 110 calories; 4 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 18 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 5 g protein; 4 g fiber; 252 mg sodium; 174 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (46% daily value), Vitamin A (45% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- Type of Dish
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- September/October 2014