Tuscan Kale & White Bean Bruschetta
From EatingWell: September/October 2014
In this classic Tuscan combination, kale and white beans are whirled into a spread for this easy bruschetta recipe. Serve on crostini, toss it with pasta for an appetizer, use it as a panini spread or stir the bruschetta topping into a bowl of chicken soup.
- 1 pound Tuscan kale (lacinato or dinosaur) or curly kale
- 1 tablespoon coarse salt
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 2 small cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 15-ounce can cannellini beans, rinsed, or 1 1/2 cups cooked white beans
- 20 1/2-inch slices baguette, toasted
- Put a large pot of water on to boil.
- Strip kale off the tough stems; discard the stems. Add the leaves and coarse salt to the boiling water. Cook, stirring frequently, until tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Drain in a colander and rinse with cold water. Drain well and squeeze to remove most but not all moisture.
- Puree half the kale with 1/4 cup oil, garlic and fine salt in a food processor to form a smooth, stiff paste. Coarsely chop the remaining kale and mix it with the kale paste in a bowl.
- Combine 1/2 cup kale paste with white beans in another bowl. (Reserve the remaining kale paste for another use.) Top each piece of toasted baguette with a generous tablespoon of the kale-bean mixture. Serve drizzled with a little olive oil, if desired.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare kale paste (Steps 1-3), cover with a thin layer of olive oil and refrigerate for up to 1 week.
Per serving: 110 calories; 4 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 18 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 5 g protein; 4 g fiber; 252 mg sodium; 174 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (46% daily value), Vitamin A (45% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Type of Dish
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- September/October 2014