Tuscan Cabbage & Mushrooms
From EatingWell: September/October 2007
Savoy cabbage, shiitake mushrooms and leeks are braised together in this earthy Italian side dish.
- 2 medium leeks, white and light green parts only
- 3 teaspoons butter, divided
- 1 ounce finely cubed pancetta, or bacon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth, or water, divided, plus more as needed
- 6 cups thinly sliced Savoy cabbage
- 8 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stems removed
- Cut leeks in half lengthwise; rinse thoroughly under water. Cut crosswise into thin slices, place in a colander and rinse again.
- Heat 2 teaspoons butter in a 12-inch cast-iron skillet over low heat, add pancetta (or bacon) and cook, stirring, until almost crisp. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate with a slotted spoon.
- Add the remaining 1 teaspoon butter and the leeks to the pan. Season with 1/8 teaspoon each salt and pepper and add 1/4 cup broth (or water); simmer, covered, until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add cabbage and the remaining 1/4 cup broth (or water); season with the remaining 1/8 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Cover and simmer until tender, about 15 minutes. (Check the cabbage after 5 minutes; if necessary, add more broth or water, a tablespoon at a time, to prevent scorching.) Stir in mushrooms; cover and continue simmering until the vegetables are tender, 5 to 7 minutes more. Serve sprinkled with the reserved pancetta (or bacon).
Per serving: 154 calories; 6 g fat (3 g sat, 1 g mono); 16 mg cholesterol; 21 g carbohydrates; 7 g protein; 5 g fiber; 376 mg sodium; 430 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (60% daily value), Vitamin A (40% dv), Folate (31% dv), Selenium (29% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 3 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Entertaining, casual
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- September/October 2007