Tuscan Cabbage & Mushrooms
From EatingWell: September/October 2007
Savoy cabbage, shiitake mushrooms and leeks are braised together in this earthy Italian side dish.
- 2 medium leeks, white and light green parts only
- 3 teaspoons butter, divided
- 1 ounce finely cubed pancetta, or bacon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth, or water, divided, plus more as needed
- 6 cups thinly sliced Savoy cabbage
- 8 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stems removed
- Cut leeks in half lengthwise; rinse thoroughly under water. Cut crosswise into thin slices, place in a colander and rinse again.
- Heat 2 teaspoons butter in a 12-inch cast-iron skillet over low heat, add pancetta (or bacon) and cook, stirring, until almost crisp. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate with a slotted spoon.
- Add the remaining 1 teaspoon butter and the leeks to the pan. Season with 1/8 teaspoon each salt and pepper and add 1/4 cup broth (or water); simmer, covered, until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add cabbage and the remaining 1/4 cup broth (or water); season with the remaining 1/8 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Cover and simmer until tender, about 15 minutes. (Check the cabbage after 5 minutes; if necessary, add more broth or water, a tablespoon at a time, to prevent scorching.) Stir in mushrooms; cover and continue simmering until the vegetables are tender, 5 to 7 minutes more. Serve sprinkled with the reserved pancetta (or bacon).
Per serving: 154 calories; 6 g fat (3 g sat, 1 g mono); 16 mg cholesterol; 21 g carbohydrates; 7 g protein; 5 g fiber; 376 mg sodium; 430 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (60% daily value), Vitamin A (40% dv), Folate (31% dv), Selenium (29% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 3 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Entertaining, casual
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- September/October 2007