Tuscan Cabbage & Mushrooms
From EatingWell: September/October 2007
Savoy cabbage, shiitake mushrooms and leeks are braised together in this earthy Italian side dish.
- 2 medium leeks, white and light green parts only
- 3 teaspoons butter, divided
- 1 ounce finely cubed pancetta, or bacon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth, or water, divided, plus more as needed
- 6 cups thinly sliced Savoy cabbage
- 8 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stems removed
- Cut leeks in half lengthwise; rinse thoroughly under water. Cut crosswise into thin slices, place in a colander and rinse again.
- Heat 2 teaspoons butter in a 12-inch cast-iron skillet over low heat, add pancetta (or bacon) and cook, stirring, until almost crisp. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate with a slotted spoon.
- Add the remaining 1 teaspoon butter and the leeks to the pan. Season with 1/8 teaspoon each salt and pepper and add 1/4 cup broth (or water); simmer, covered, until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add cabbage and the remaining 1/4 cup broth (or water); season with the remaining 1/8 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Cover and simmer until tender, about 15 minutes. (Check the cabbage after 5 minutes; if necessary, add more broth or water, a tablespoon at a time, to prevent scorching.) Stir in mushrooms; cover and continue simmering until the vegetables are tender, 5 to 7 minutes more. Serve sprinkled with the reserved pancetta (or bacon).
Per serving: 154 calories; 6 g fat (3 g sat, 1 g mono); 16 mg cholesterol; 21 g carbohydrates; 7 g protein; 5 g fiber; 376 mg sodium; 430 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (60% daily value), Vitamin A (40% dv), Folate (31% dv), Selenium (29% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 3 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Grapefruit can add a healthy and refreshing flavor to entrees...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Entertaining, casual
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- September/October 2007