Tuscan Cabbage & Mushrooms
From EatingWell: September/October 2007
Savoy cabbage, shiitake mushrooms and leeks are braised together in this earthy Italian side dish.
- 2 medium leeks, white and light green parts only
- 3 teaspoons butter, divided
- 1 ounce finely cubed pancetta, or bacon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth, or water, divided, plus more as needed
- 6 cups thinly sliced Savoy cabbage
- 8 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stems removed
- Cut leeks in half lengthwise; rinse thoroughly under water. Cut crosswise into thin slices, place in a colander and rinse again.
- Heat 2 teaspoons butter in a 12-inch cast-iron skillet over low heat, add pancetta (or bacon) and cook, stirring, until almost crisp. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate with a slotted spoon.
- Add the remaining 1 teaspoon butter and the leeks to the pan. Season with 1/8 teaspoon each salt and pepper and add 1/4 cup broth (or water); simmer, covered, until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add cabbage and the remaining 1/4 cup broth (or water); season with the remaining 1/8 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Cover and simmer until tender, about 15 minutes. (Check the cabbage after 5 minutes; if necessary, add more broth or water, a tablespoon at a time, to prevent scorching.) Stir in mushrooms; cover and continue simmering until the vegetables are tender, 5 to 7 minutes more. Serve sprinkled with the reserved pancetta (or bacon).
Per serving: 154 calories; 6 g fat (3 g sat, 1 g mono); 16 mg cholesterol; 21 g carbohydrates; 7 g protein; 5 g fiber; 376 mg sodium; 430 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (60% daily value), Vitamin A (40% dv), Folate (31% dv), Selenium (29% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 3 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Entertaining, casual
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- September/October 2007