Tuscan Cabbage & Mushrooms
From EatingWell: September/October 2007
Savoy cabbage, shiitake mushrooms and leeks are braised together in this earthy Italian side dish.
- 2 medium leeks, white and light green parts only
- 3 teaspoons butter, divided
- 1 ounce finely cubed pancetta, or bacon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth, or water, divided, plus more as needed
- 6 cups thinly sliced Savoy cabbage
- 8 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stems removed
- Cut leeks in half lengthwise; rinse thoroughly under water. Cut crosswise into thin slices, place in a colander and rinse again.
- Heat 2 teaspoons butter in a 12-inch cast-iron skillet over low heat, add pancetta (or bacon) and cook, stirring, until almost crisp. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate with a slotted spoon.
- Add the remaining 1 teaspoon butter and the leeks to the pan. Season with 1/8 teaspoon each salt and pepper and add 1/4 cup broth (or water); simmer, covered, until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add cabbage and the remaining 1/4 cup broth (or water); season with the remaining 1/8 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Cover and simmer until tender, about 15 minutes. (Check the cabbage after 5 minutes; if necessary, add more broth or water, a tablespoon at a time, to prevent scorching.) Stir in mushrooms; cover and continue simmering until the vegetables are tender, 5 to 7 minutes more. Serve sprinkled with the reserved pancetta (or bacon).
Per serving: 154 calories; 6 g fat (3 g sat, 1 g mono); 16 mg cholesterol; 21 g carbohydrates; 7 g protein; 5 g fiber; 376 mg sodium; 430 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (60% daily value), Vitamin A (40% dv), Folate (31% dv), Selenium (29% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 3 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Entertaining, casual
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- September/October 2007