Roasted Turnips & Butternut Squash with Five-Spice Glaze
From EatingWell: November/December 2012
In this delicious side dish recipe, turnips and butternut squash are glazed with a mixture of molasses and flavorful five-spice powder. Try the dish with garlic-rubbed roasted chicken or pork.
- 4 medium turnips (about 1 1/2 pounds), peeled
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled and seeded
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 small red onion, halved and sliced
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder (see Tip)
- Position racks in upper and lower thirds of oven; preheat to 450°F.
- Slice turnips and squash crosswise into 3/4-inch-thick slices. Cut each slice into 3/4-inch-wide strips or “sticks.” Toss with oil, salt and pepper in a large bowl until well coated. Divide between 2 large rimmed baking sheets and spread into an even layer. (Set the bowl aside.)
- Roast the turnips and squash for 10 minutes. Carefully transfer back to the bowl. Gently stir in onion, molasses and five-spice powder to combine. Return the vegetables to the baking sheets; roast, stirring once halfway through and rotating the pans top to bottom and front to back, until tender, 15 to 20 minutes more.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: Chinese five-spice powder is available in well-stocked supermarkets and Asian markets. All blends contain cinnamon, fennel seed, cloves and star anise; some versions are made with white pepper, some with Szechuan pepper.
Per serving: 153 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 28 g carbohydrates; 4 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 5 g fiber; 264 mg sodium; 757 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (282% daily value), Vitamin C (80% dv), Potassium (22% dv), Magnesium (19% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 1 starch, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 2012