Roasted Turnips & Butternut Squash with Five-Spice Glaze
From EatingWell: November/December 2012
In this delicious side dish recipe, turnips and butternut squash are glazed with a mixture of molasses and flavorful five-spice powder. Try the dish with garlic-rubbed roasted chicken or pork.
- 4 medium turnips (about 1 1/2 pounds), peeled
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled and seeded
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 small red onion, halved and sliced
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder (see Tip)
- Position racks in upper and lower thirds of oven; preheat to 450°F.
- Slice turnips and squash crosswise into 3/4-inch-thick slices. Cut each slice into 3/4-inch-wide strips or “sticks.” Toss with oil, salt and pepper in a large bowl until well coated. Divide between 2 large rimmed baking sheets and spread into an even layer. (Set the bowl aside.)
- Roast the turnips and squash for 10 minutes. Carefully transfer back to the bowl. Gently stir in onion, molasses and five-spice powder to combine. Return the vegetables to the baking sheets; roast, stirring once halfway through and rotating the pans top to bottom and front to back, until tender, 15 to 20 minutes more.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: Chinese five-spice powder is available in well-stocked supermarkets and Asian markets. All blends contain cinnamon, fennel seed, cloves and star anise; some versions are made with white pepper, some with Szechuan pepper.
Per serving: 153 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 28 g carbohydrates; 4 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 5 g fiber; 264 mg sodium; 757 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (282% daily value), Vitamin C (80% dv), Potassium (22% dv), Magnesium (19% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 1 starch, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- November/December 2012